Monday, October 5, 2009

Mom's Homemade Noodles

For those of us without pasta making machines:
This is one of Mommo's recipes that I believe she learned from her mother (please correct me if that's wrong, Mom).
Everyone at our house is sick today, so I was thinking of making chicken soup, then remembered Mom's noodles and had to make them as well.
I substituted a few tablespoons of freshly ground whole wheat flour for some of the white flour. I cut the noodles (rolled up jelly roll style per recipe) with plain dental floss and then unrolled them and laid them out on a cookie cooling grid to dry. I remember Mom sometimes putting them over chair backs. You don't have to let them dry, though.
And here's the vintage recipe -

1 beaten egg
1/2 t. salt
2 T evaporated milk
1 C flour

Combine egg, salt and milk. Add enough flour to make stiff dough. Roll out dough and then roll like a jelly roll and slice 1/8" thick. Drop into boiling broth and cook 10 minutes.

I always loved the texture of homemade noodles in the soup. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment